This is my daily journal of my 30 days on shopping hiatus.
Here’s the rules:
- No personal purchases outside of the following:
- One coffee a day
- Daily food allowance of $10 (for meals out of the house like lunch)
- Medical necessities (cancer drugs, Imodium, allergy meds, etc.)
- Grocery trips will be limited to only the necessities for the weeks meals
- No purchases for my son, husband or friends that are not necessities (ie food, personal needs, etc.)
- Gas because I have to drive to get to work
- Daily journaling to hold myself accountable
AND SO BEGINS THE JOURNEY…
Target oh how I love you! Today was a bit of a rough one on two fronts…
1. I spent most of my day at home relaxing in bed on Instagram which meant the need to buy all the cute things on my InstaFeed was high.
2. I went to Target to get a gift card for a bridal shower and luckily I was with my dad and son so I didn’t have any excuse or room to roam. It could’ve been bad but it wasn’t.
Overall aside from the bridal shower gift I spent no money. No coffee run. No eat out. Just chilling at home with the family.
Maybe this whole no spending thing is easier then I thought??
Had a rough day, wasn’t feeling good, hadn’t slept well/at all and just really felt drawn to shop…because that’s what I’ve always done. However I busted myself with work, team building, buying a stranger coffee, going to acupuncture and listening to the latest Podcasts on my phone. My 30 days is still really only beginning but I was proud of my restraint, especially since Target has been bombarding me with ads on all social media’s and on the radio!!
Today I worked from home which meant that I didn’t buy a coffee and I ate lunch at home so I saved roughly $15. However, today was grocery day so I had to brave the store and focus on only buying the things we needed for dinners, lunches at home and for the home. With that being said I still managed to spend $170 at Fred Meyers. So far controlling the urge to shop online or hit Target has been successful but it’s only been 3 days lol!!
Day 2 was pretty uneventful but I overspent on fish at the fish market…I could’ve gotten a less expensive cut or just less of the fresh halibut that I did purchase but I wasn’t paying attention. And once I was out of the fish market I instantly felt guilty for being so lax.
On the daily food allowance front I only spent $4 of the $6 so I’m pretty proud of my frugalness…that free breakfast helped. All in all I’m learning a lot about my triggers. Tomorrow is grocery day so we’ll see if I stick to my list.
Well today was day 1…day 1’s are rarely that difficult it’s usually day 2-7 that get rough. Overall here was my complete spending for the day:
I indulged in my 1 coffee (an iced Americano with mocha flavoring and room for some cream)
Ice cream after my doctor appointment: $5
Daily food allowance: $10 – $14 (my actual spend) = -$4 which means I will only have $6 for tomorrow to make up for today
Outside of my daily food allowance I used my Health Savings Account to pay my out of network co-pay at my naturopathic doctor, it was $32.
We’ll see how the rest of the week goes but so far I’m not off to a 100% start.