I’m a huge fan of making major messes in the kitchen…the more pots, pans, cooking equipment the better! It drives my husband crazy so I know this easy one pot meal is going to make him a much happier guy come clean up.
I took inspiration for this meal from my favorite Chipotle meal and added my own tweaks to make it something both my hubby and I could enjoy.
Hopefully you enjoy it as much as we did!!
1 pound ground beef (*sub any meat you’d like – chicken, turkey, venison, bison)
1 cup rice
1 can black beans
1 package frozen corn
1 1/2 cups crushed tomatoes (*sub 1 can diced tomatoes)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 package taco seasoning
1 pinch of salt and pepper
2 cups hot water
Toppings – lettuce, crushed chips (we did Doritos because it’s what we had in the house), cheese, sour cream, onions, avocado, etc.
1. Cook your meat till it’s almost cooked all the way through. Add taco seasoning.
2. Move rice to the side and add rice and tomatoes.
3. Bring to a simmer and then combine, beans, corn and salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Add 2 cups water and bring to a rolling simmer. Cover with a lid and cook on medium for 10-15 mins or until rice is al dente.
4. Add cheese and more water or seasoning if needed to finish cooking the rice. I checked on it every 5 mins until the rice was the doneness we like.
5. Add to a bowl and eat as is or put it on top of lettuce/spinach and top with all your favorite taco toppings!!